Cape Yorker Forums  

Go Back   Cape Yorker Forums > CAPE YORKER FORUMS > LATEST NEWS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LATEST NEWS Up to date news about the Cape.

Old 25-02-2010   #1
Grahame M
Problem Croc

Default Permits required from cairns to the tip?

Hi all ,

Can anyone please give me some information about where permits are required to camp or access from cairns to the tip.

Cheers,

Grahame.
Grahame M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010   #2
geoffjy
Croc Crew Life Member

You will find that there are self registation booths in all Nat Park areas on the Cape. Have a look at their website and it will tell you where they are. You can also book and pay online.
Old 28-02-2010   #3
dingo
Problem Croc

Depending on where you are going will determine what permits you will/may require.
The big one is the Jardine River ferry which covers you for any of the communities north of the Jardine except for the Natioal Park campgrounds i.e. Sommerset Beach (someone may correct me).
As stated the National park campgrounds normally have self rego at them.
South of the Jardine the Councils and communities scattered all over have there own restrictions and normally expensive "fees" to travel through or camp.

Roaring Meg Falls on the CREB Track requires a permit to visit and camp there (no charge) but this one must be done at either Cairns or at Mossman (I think) in person or by fax. During Business hours

Winston Churchill

Fishing is not a matter of life or death,
It's bloody well more important than that

Dingo

R.A.G 4X4. Ruff~as~Guts

Last edited by dingo : 28-02-2010 at 07:39 AM.
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010   #4
geoffjy
Croc Crew Life Member

There is no National Park north of the Jardine River Ferry. The $88 ferry fee includes access and cam;iong fees to the northern banks of the Jardine River, vUsher Point, the Tip, Muttee Heads, Jardine River mouth and Vrilya Point. Somerset is no longer included in the $88 fee and is now $20 per person per night. Toilets and rain water tanks are onsite at Somerset. Occasionally the EFTPOS is not working at the Jardine River ferry so i would recommend on having cash on hand in an emergency. This also goes for roadhouses as well.

I needed to get fuel at Bramwell Junction last year and their EFTPOS system was down and they were only accepting cash. Luckily i had cash on me which got me out of trouble.
Old 06-07-2010   #5
loxsmith
Forum Fossil

Default Roaring Meg Falls permit

Faxed off the application yesterday morning to the Atherton DERM office and just received the permit via fax now. How's that for service
It appears I have to ring a mobile number before heading in to Roaring Meg and I also need to apply for a separate camping permit

I ticked all 5 boxes for various other Wet Tropics permits in the Davies Creek National Park, Dinden National Park and Bare Hill Conservation Park and got the lot

Hope it's all worth it

Glen
Old 06-07-2010   #6
dingo
Problem Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Faxed off the application yesterday morning to the Atherton DERM office and just received the permit via fax now. How's that for service
Thats not bad, we done ours in Cairns along with the camping permit and it all took about an hour as the Cairns office has to fax the applications off to Atherton anyway. We went for a coffee came back and all was done.

Quote:
It appears I have to ring a mobile number before heading in to Roaring Meg
Unless you have a Sat Phone handy you will need to ring from a public phone somewhere before heading along the CREB as we found that not even Next G service worked from Daintree. Next G service from Telstra is about the only thing that comes close to any sort of service once out of Cairns (Sat Phone excepted)

Quote:
and I also need to apply for a separate camping permit
Yep, still no charge

Quote:

Hope it's all worth it

Glen
It will be

Winston Churchill

Dingo

R.A.G 4X4. Ruff~as~Guts
Old 07-07-2010   #7
loxsmith
Forum Fossil

Unless you have a Sat Phone handy you will need to ring from a public phone somewhere before heading along the CREB as we found that not even Next G service worked from Daintree. Next G service from Telstra is about the only thing that comes close to any sort of service once out of Cairns (Sat Phone excepted)

A bit more on Telstra Next G Blue Tick phone coverage here http://www.capeyorkforums.com/forums...read.php?t=677
Old 07-07-2010   #8
dingo
Problem Croc

I am running a Nokia 6720 Classic ( a "Blue Tick" phone) as well as the new Bigpond "21" modem. which gets coverage anywhere the phone does.
The only downside of the phone is that I can't connect an external antenna to get a bit more distance.
The 21 modem can be and comes with an external patch antenna but a larger vehicle mounted one would be better.

The map on telstra website for Next G service is not that accurate as we had no coverage around Roaring Meg.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/net...erage/maps.cfm

(select Qld and type in Bamaga ) then scroll down

I would still take a Sat phone on my next trip It's just makes things a bit easier if you need to contact someone if needed.

Winston Churchill

Dingo

R.A.G 4X4. Ruff~as~Guts

Last edited by dingo : 07-07-2010 at 10:13 PM.