Cape Yorker Forums  

Go Back   Cape Yorker Forums > CAPE YORKER FORUMS > For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

For Sale Got something to sell that has to do with Cape York? It could even be a rod, reel, spare rim or even a copy of a Cape Yorker magazine. Just post it here.

Old 15-06-2014   #1
Crocchew
Croc Hatchling

Question Temple Bay visits

G day, I'm going with a small group to Temple Bay end of July beginning of August. Anyone been there lately? And has anyone got any good tips of what to expect? Cant wait!
Crocchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014   #2
xina
Toyota Landcruiser Life Member

You lucky buggas. Wish I was going with you. Can't believe it's about 30 years since I had to leave there. Still wish I could go back to live.

Just keep your eyes open. You never know what you might find, or see. If you happen to see a Quoll with a Banded Tail, please try and get a Pic.

Have a great time, and please respect the country.

Cheers,
xina.
xina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014   #3
ant
Creative Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xina View Post
please respect the country.
xina.
Absolutely. Look after the place. Take only photos and leave only footprints.
Old 19-06-2014   #4
newhue
Problem Croc

I have read somewhere there is a very large resident croc there. Not sure how true it is. Did it take you long to get the permit? Would like to go there myself but just can keep extending, trip is 6 weeks already. Perhaps you could report back with track conditions.
newhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014   #5
xina

The creek is a Croc breeding area. Be careful anytime you're near the water there. We saw one that I estimated to be about 20ft, and then he moved, and another 3 or 4 feet emerged from the water.

I've seen them from his size, down to hatchlings in that creek. You'll be fine as long as you keep your eyes open, and don't do anything stupid.

Cheers,
Sheba.
Old 19-06-2014   #6
newhue
Problem Croc

26ft was the size I read so there might be a huge male in there somewhere. The story was some lads were told about this Croc, and when they arrived there is was like a floating log in the bay. Seems very big though. But wouldn't that be grand to see such a large ancient animal. Still surviving and coping in this modern world.
newhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014   #7
xina

I used to call him Sampson. Used to often see smaller [8-10 footers approx.] ones playing in the little wave-lets at the waters' edge sometimes. They roll around in them.

As you say, it's really something to see them in their natural Habitat. I now live not far from a Croc. Farm in CQ., and have only been there twice. Won't ever go again. I can't stand to see them penned in there.

Cheers,
xina.