Cape Yorker Forums  

Go Back   Cape Yorker Forums > CAPE YORKER FORUMS > 4WD Outside Cape York Region
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4WD Outside Cape York Region Anything to do with touring and 4WD outside of the Cape York region.

Old 09-07-2012   #11
Nedly
Croc Crew Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Nedly,

Do you know what the current process is for accessing Lull Bay??

Last we were up there, Les French from Honeymoon Bay was offering access up there at a price, but I heard later that it was a bit outside his scope to do that, as he had no traditional ties to the area.

I was just reading an old post of mine on ExploreOz about this area, and was quickly reminded of the sandfly problem. Try to camp back away from the beach if you can...a much safer idea !

Scorcher.
Thanks for the tip Scorcher, if we get there I'll make sure we are back off the beach.

As for access, I'm not aware of any process in place, just to chat with the right people when we get there. I'll let you know how we got on when we get back.

REMEMBER, Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Nedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012   #12
Nedly
Croc Crew Life Member

Well, that's another destination marked off our must go list.
Trip went well with only a couple of minor disasters, I'll go into more detail a little later, once I go through the 5000+ photos we took.

It is an awesome place, with some fantastic spots, but there does seem to be long distances between these spots some times.
Dust and rocks, if you like dust and rocks then the Kimberley in the dry is the place for you. I have never had so much dust in the back of my truck before, and it is a reasonably well sealed unit.

We made an informed decision to give the Mitchell Plateau a miss for this trip, which gave us more time to more fully explore the Gibb River Road and gorges etc. It was the correct decision.
As it turned out, one of our minor disasters would have stopped us going there anyway.

The Bungle Bungles are well worth a visit, we saw all the areas you are permitted to visit, with I think Echidna Gorge being the standout, but you MUST get there a little before noon for the best effects.
We'll go back, a little earlier in the dry though, when the landscape still has that healthy green glow.

Les

Old 05-10-2012   #13
gclan
Rogue Croc

Glad you had a great trip. The Kimberley sure is an incredible place, one I hope to go back to one day too.

The worst thing about going on these big adventures is coming home to sort through all of the photos. Digital is a blessing and a curse sometimes
gclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #14
Nedly
Croc Crew Life Member

Yeah, photos, we've been back for 7 weeks now and still haven't managed to sort through them all. I've managed to reduce the 5000 to about 1200, way to many to post here.
I'll get my act together one day and post a report with some pics, but don't hold your breath, it will still take me a while.

Old 08-10-2012   #15
Big Red
Problem Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedly View Post
Yeah, photos, we've been back for 7 weeks now and still haven't managed to sort through them all. I've managed to reduce the 5000 to about 1200, way to many to post here.
I'll get my act together one day and post a report with some pics, but don't hold your breath, it will still take me a while.
Gday

Hmmm.... Photos. I've just returned from a short trip over the weekend, to a place on the Burdekin River that we have stayed at many times. As I was unpacking the car earlier I spotted the camera. Ooops! I didn't take any photos. Yeah Nedly, when ya have thousands of photos to sort through I tend to get lazy with the camera. Especially at places I have been many times before.
But be sure in 2014 I will be returning with thousands again as we're heading to the Kimberleys via The Simpson and Tanami Deserts.

OOROO
Rik