Cape Yorker Forums  

Go Back   Cape Yorker Forums > CAPE YORKER FORUMS > Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fishing Throw a line in and see who bites.

Old 31-07-2013   #1
stree01
Croc Hatchling

Default skardon river

Hi ya . Just wondering if there was a 'downside' to fishing the skardon river over a couple of nights ( assuming access) i notice its also a mining port.
Thanks

Stefan
stree01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013   #2
Scorcher

Stefan,

We spent some time at the mouth of the Skarden River last year. We've been there a few times before...nice & remote, good camping, and plenty of fishing options inside & outside the river.

Permits were available through the Weipa Campground.

The only downside I could think of would be the travel time from the OTL out to Skarden River to only stay a couple of nights.

Last year the mine was closed down, but I read somewhere that another group had bought them out & may start it up again. There were some tradies & a caretaker on site while they were still decomissioning some of the plant.

Cheers

Scorcher
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016   #3
father84
Croc Hatchling

scorcher, do you know how long the trip is from the OTL to the camp? Heading up to the skardon in May looking forward to it!
father84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016   #4
block
Croc Hatchling

I was in there in 2013 and 2014. The track in from the OTL had a few wash outs in some of the little creek but we got over them ok. The last few kms before the beach is very soft sand and low tyre pressure is required. The same goes for the track behind the beach if there has been a lot of traffic. It would take around 5 hours from OTL when fully loaded and taking it easy.
We found it a great place to fish but we camped in there for 6 weeks and could have a good look around. Lots of reef north between the mouth and the Jackson and the Kerr reef is 18km from camp if the weather is good. If the wind is up fish the river. Lots of jacks up the main river, go past the 2 small creek that are very close to each other on the left, about 2 more bends in the main river and there is a rock bar that holds a lot of jack and small cod. Be very careful in this area as the rocks come out at low tide in some places. The mouth of the creek across the river from camp has an endless supply of trevally and queeny’s on the last of the run out tide.
There is a well there with water we used for showers. Only down side is that too many campers are not digging a hole for their toilet and there was land mines everywhere. It is not hard to dig a hole as it is all sand!! Top spot all round and you will have a great time.
block is offline   Reply With Quote